The DSU Institute of Politics supports students who seek public service internships. We regularly place interns in the Washington, DC and St. George offices of Utah’s two U.S. Senators and the Member of Congress from Utah’s District 2. We also place two students per year in the Utah State Legislative Internship program, a unique learning opportunity that assigns interns as primary staffers for the Utah State Legislature every spring. These internships are paired with academic coursework housed in POLS 2900R and POLS 3900 equaling 6 credits. Students from all majors are welcome to apply. We can also support interns in a wide variety of local, state, and national public service offices. Click here for a list of the many opportunities available.
– U.S. Senate and Congressional internships (Washington, DC or St. George): September 15 (Spring), January 15 (Summer), March 15 (Fall)
– Utah State Legislative Internship (Salt Lake City): November 1 (Spring)
For all internships, submit the following documents:
– Cover letter (note: cover letters should be tailored to each internship; consult this resource from Career Services for more specific suggestions)
– 4-5 page writing sample (research, not creative writing)
– 2 letters of recommendation
– Unofficial transcripts
If you are applying to multiple internships (and we encourage you to!), your application should include a separate tailored cover letter for each Member of Congress with whom you hope to intern.
Completed applications should be emailed to Dr. Vince Brown, Institute of Politics Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For help with application materials, we encourage you to make an appointment with the DSU Career Center.
For all other questions, contact Dr. Vince Brown, Institute of Politics Director, at email@example.com.